Saturday, July 5, 2014

104ºF: A Problem and a Solution

They say there are two seasons where I live:  Winter and Construction.  Winter brings snow and minus forty wind-chills (sadly minus forty is the same in Celsius and Fahrenheit).  Construction season brings rain and/or 40ºC (104ºF) temperatures.  And mosquitos, don't forget the mosquitos!

 
Today there was actually a heat advisory due to the temperature and humidity (along with a very short lived tornado warning).  How is one to run outdoors in these conditions?  I have two weeks before Color Me Rad and I need to be able to run outside for longer than five minutes.  I don't want to run on the treadmill because I can already run 5k on the treadmill.  I want to run on the pavement to get ready.
 
Then the solution came to me.  An indoor track!  So I found one at a recreation centre that is not too far away.  They charge for admission by day and you don't have to be a member.  Perfect!  Plus it has a pool so I was able to take my daughter and her friend and they went swimming while I went for a run.  After my run I quickly showered then went into the pool for a short while.  I am actually looking forward to going there again sometime!  12 laps equal one mile so I was able to better measure my distance.  I did two 3/4 mile runs (jogs) in place of the two eight-minute runs (jogs) as per the Couch to 5k app.  And it was great!
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment